On June 2, our friends from the People Who Share in the UK will be hosting the 2nd Global Sharing Day, with satellite events taking place all over the world focusing on this year’s theme: food. Lots of meal sharing, community building and fun times will be had by all, so be a part of it! We’ve rounded up 5 great ideas to take part in meal sharing this coming Sunday and 6 great food organizations based in Toronto:
Meal sharing ideas:
- Host a dinner party/get together at your house and invite your friends! Next level up is to get your friends to bring a friend you don’t know. If you’re really into the sharing spirit, use a platform like Mealsharing and share a meal with locals and/or travelers in your city.
- Have a potluck and get your friends to bring food instead of you cooking it all, for those looking for a little less work
- Pack a picnic lunch at the park and enjoy the outdoors. Great for family outings with one or more families. Check out BlogTO’s list of the best parks in the city for picnicking.
- Go out for a meal with your family or friends. Try out a new place, such as the Depanneur which hosts drop-in dinners, workshops, supper clubs, and a weekend brunch made with local and organic ingredients.
- Take a cooking class and then savour your hard work. Fun date idea for couples! Take a look at some listings on Uniiverse here.
Food-related organizations in Toronto:
- Not Far from the Tree – Collaborative fruit picking that puts Toronto’s fruit to good use by picking and sharing the bounty
- The Stop – Community food centre that strives to increase access to healthy food for all
- Cultivate TO – Aims to turn urban backyards into a sustainable source of fresh, organic food
- Fresh City Farms – Organic and local produce delivery
- Divide and Savour – Food swapping events
- Harvest Noon – A space for U of T students and members of the wider community to eat, cook, learn about, and express their love for food
Don’t forget to watch Sharing Economy TV for live feeds of meal sharing events around the world and tweet with hashtag #GlobalSharingDay to spread the word and share your stories! Enjoy! Nom nom nom